Last week I showed you the start of my braided rug, made with t-shirt yarn. After the white and light blue fabric I added a dark blue fabric, all from old shirts of my hubby. Then I started braiding in some orange yarn, from two kids t-shirts. And that’s where thing went wrong…
It turned into a bowl! I was pulling on the yarn too much. Some unpicking was in order…
… and I started again, this time using books around my sewing machine to keep the rug flat and feeding the braid in very carefully.
And it worked! Flat as a pancake!
I had some other issues – after changing to another colour thread, of a different brand, the thread kept breaking and I had lots of loops… Back to the first brand! But the rug grew and grew, and it now has a diameter of 60 cm (23 1/2 in):
My plan is for the rug to be at least a metre wide, so I’m planning to keep going for a while. Of course it is taking longer and longer to go around, and it is getting harder to manage to rug at the sewing machine… so we’ll see how we go. Here is a close up:
I’m loving the process and already planning another one – but that one will be a bowl!
To be continued…